15.6.10

"Who Hoo" will this go to?

The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money, 
Wrapped up in a five pound note.

"The Owl and the Pussycat"
Edward Lear

I finished a quilt without a class and all on my own! And there are owls all over it!! What a wonderful thing!
Okay, on my own is stretching it. Without the class at Modern Domestic, taught by Elizabeth of oh Fransson! this quilt would not exist. I referred constantly back to oh Fransson's blog for tips with the quilt sandwich and binding. Tips that made no sense to me before I had a live demonstration of them. (I'm a hands on kind of gal)
 

I also took inspiration for this quilt from Cluck Cluck Sew. I made it smaller and learned a bit about planning for quilt dimensions. I should take a photo of my planning page in my idea journal- I'm pretty proud of it. Numbers, colors, careful planning. (And still, I had some errors- but I worked through them all)


I went with a pea green flannel background. Soft a cozy for the little guy who is getting this one. I also managed a binding on my own. Well, with reference of some tutorials for reminders.

The quilting process itself... less than satisfying. I kept meaning to get over for some open sewing time at M.D., but never did. I just shoved it through my machine and did some stitch in the ditch action. It worked, but not pretty. But it worked. And the people getting it will never know it could have been something different. I'm not ready to commit to that new machine until I know I'm really committed to this quilting and sewing thing. 

Oh, those Owls. I picked up the Owls at Bolt in Portland during their sale. I'm so glad they've made it into a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment