15.6.10

A tie for my guy

And indeed there will be time
To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?"
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair--
(They will say: "How his hair is growing thin!")
My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,
My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin,
(They will say: "But how his arms and legs are thin!")
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?

"The Lovesong of Alfred J. Prufrock"
T.S. Eliot



With all the quilts and bags and such, a tie seemed like a smashing idea. Not that S. doesn't enjoy and support every other endeavor I have taken on... but finding a great project for a great guy has proved to be a difficult thing.
This is why, when I saw the class at Modern Domestic, I had to jump on it.
Just as with the quilt class, I left the tie class with information I never would have thought to ask about. Information about fabric, shortcuts, techniques. I'm a huge fan of this place! HUGE!

Shawn picked the fabric, I truly love it. He wore it to work, but I forgot to take pictures. I'll grab some the next time.
 
The tie is lined, and was finished with a hand stitch. I learned a lot about the bias of the fabric and how to use it to help this tie sit the way it should.

2 comments:

  1. This tie is amazing! It doesn't look handmade at all, not that that is bad, but it is just so beautifully constructed and professional looking. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I have to thank Modern Domestic for guiding me to a finished product. (Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I'm so new to blogging, I didn't know I had comments!)

    ReplyDelete